Soulsby Synthesizers. Home of innovative 8-bit synthesizers, modules and kits.
Soulsby Synthesizers Latest News
Please also make sure that you have the latest driver for your FTDI cable installed. They're available on downloads page or via the FTDI website. There's also a new Beta version available for OSX 10.15 and above on the FTDI website. I have yet to test this with Easy Uploader. If you have OSX 10.14 and above and try this driver please do get in touch to let me know if it works!
I've had a few emails requesting progress of the ATX range and thought I'd provide a summary. There are many parts to making this synthesizer range and it's a lot for just one person to manage! Progress is being made though and I do hope to have this finished this year.
- Enclosure – 5 prototypes of each synth arriving in a couple of weeks. Then on to manufacturing the production run
- Side panels – being cut at the moment!
- Plastic parts – all purchased and ready for assembly
- Controller PCBs – being manufactured at the moment, should be ready in a couple of weeks
- Voice card, power and bus PCBs – Voice and bus PCBs are ready to manufacture, but on hold while I fix a problem with the power PCB. The power PCB has been causing me major problems throughout the project and still isn’t quite ready! Once power PCB is fixed, all of these will be ordered together to save on shipping.
- Filter and Amp PCBs – the Atmultitron-only PCBs are on hold at the moment. Prototypes are finished and tested, but production won’t start until the Atmegatron II is ready.
- Manual and packaging – haven’t even started yet :(
- Controller – All elements of the control software is now in place, but there is a lot of testing and features to refine. I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel with this though!
- Atmegatron engine – All finished. Every parameter needs a final test.
- Odytron engine – Nearly finished. Parameters need rearranging and final test
- Strings engine – Nearly finished. Parameters need rearranging and final test
- Atmegadrum engine – Engine finished, but need to implement sample switching via USB. Parameters need final test.
- Atcylcotron engine – Not started (may be added after launch)
- Delayertron engine – Not started (may be added after launch)
- Duotron engine – Not started (may possibly be removed from spec).
- Audio Input engine – finished.
- Piano engine – 1 bug to remove, otherwise finished
- Bezier engine – basics done, but buggy. Needs further work and testing
I should have been on a flight today to Berlin, to attend my number 1 highlight of the year: Superbooth. Sadly Superbooth couldn't happen this year due to the virus, but in its place is "Superbooth Home Edition" and Soulsby Synths have done a video for it!
In the words of the organisers: "To not let the start of the real Superbooth pass out, there is a virtual show happen tomorrow: The Superbooth20 Home Edition. Starting at 14:00 o´clock / 2 PM (MESZ/CEST/CEDT) simply on our website superbooth.com."
Edit: The video is now available here, in Part 3, near the bottom.
New Oscidrum banks
There are 5 new Oscidrum banks on the downloads page. 4 vintage drum kits and 1 set of Moog Mother-32 sounds courtesy of Steve Munslow.
Online chat with Richard Nicol
I had an informal online chat with Richard Nicol of Pittsburgh Modular yesterday. We chatted about getting into synths, development of the Atmegatron and progress of the ATX synths. I also demo a couple of the new Oscidrum banks.
I discuss quite a bit of this in the video above.A lot of parts for the Atmegatron II have now arrived. There's still some software to write and parts to order, but it's getting close! There are plans for a virtual Superbooth, now that the real one can't take place. I will be doing an update video for this, so stay tuned for details.
40% OFF OSCITRONS on 29th Nov!
Head over to the webstore this Friday and grab a bargain Oscitron! 40% off (£156 inc VAT). Limited stock remaining.
Not long now! The biggest synthesizer event of the year is nearly here. We'll have all the ATX range on show. The Atmultitron, The Atmegatron II and introducing the ATX Modular range.
And don't forget to come and get some swag! Ever need to just hold 2 jacks together for a minute to check a signal path? These keyrings do just the job!
So here's all the details:
- 9th-11th May
- FEZ-Berlin, Straße zum FEZ 2 in 12459 Berlin
- Trade visitors daily from 10:00 am to 11:59 pm / Saturday also Education Ticket holders from 10:00 am to 11:59 pm Regular visitors daily from 1:00 pm to 11:59 pm.
- Booth E155 - in the middle of the main entrance hall.
- Buy tickets here.
See you there!